Wednesday 24 February 2016

Syrian Elite school, day 3, part 2.

 Okay,day 3 ( were now on day 7, oops ! ) Our first day at the school. Update part 2.


Myself Matt and Rosa set up a classroom at the top of the school to paint face masks and paintings.I passed around some postcards I had from home showing bournemouth, mudeford, hengistbury head, the beach huts, the sand bank, the new forest and the horses, all the children loved seeing them, and a lot of them wanted to keep the cards. Simple things hey ? They were so excited to see where me and matt were from.

We had 45 children, and 3 volunteers, it was hectic but so worth it. Each child decorated their own mask, each one was different, some covered in glitter and sequins, some with hand painted hearts, flags and flowers. My cheeky friend,the boy who told me I was 35 years old and should go on a diet, was the messy kid of the class, my kinda artist. Me and him were going to be firm friends.

At the back we had two young boys, one around 4 years old and one around 6 years old
They needed a lot of encouragement from Matt and I to paint their masks, they were a bit lost to begin with. With plenty of encouragement and help they painted beautiful masks and went on to paint a few paintings.


After the children had painted their masks we handed out A4 sheets of paper, telling the children to paint happiness or happy memories.

The shy 6 year old painted two paintings. He painted a green train. I thought it was a tank, but he told us it was a train. He also painted two houses, next to each other. One was red, on fire, and in Syria. One was blue, that was his home in Turkey.

Another young boy, around 9 years old, was eager to show us his painting. His smile lighting up his freckled face, he reminded me of a young me, just a boy version wink emoticon he held up his painting, a heart painted in the colors of the Syrian flag with some writing. Before Rosalinda could translate, he translated himself telling us 
'Syria is In my heart '
Other children wrote their name or drew love hearts and Syrian flags, telling us these were there happy memories, though they are happy now.
Mr Khaled, the head teacher,popped in and out during the day,checking the children's art work and congratulating them.

Later in Mr Khaleds office he asked us if we noticed the 5 girls who snuck In half way through. Through Rosalinda, we chatted. I was going to make a joke, a joke about syrians being smuggled, but I thought better of it. As of reading my mind Mr Khaled said :

' I'm the smuggler, I smuggle syrians in to art lessons, AND I do it for free! '
The man has a great sense of humor and loves all the children In his school.....
Part 3 coming soon, off for some dinner now !

0 comments:

Post a Comment