Tuesday 14 May 2013

The pros and cons of biking in Amsterdam

I have not blogged in a while. Im sure I always start blogs like this. 'So I have not blogged in a while' so thought I would blog about the Pros and Cons of Biking in Amsterdam. Im gonna try and be super clever and write a pro and a con together, does that even make sense? Made sense in my head :)

1. Biking. Surely I can think of some pros to biking ? 

Ok if you do it enough, like these dutchies too, man you get legs of steel. But, thats not always a good thing. I see some dutch girls, in skirts, and they have the most muscly legs, from all the cycling. Sometimes not a good look :) See there was a pro and a con at the same time. Clever me. But really, the pros, its cheap. Especially if you have bikes given to you and dont have to pay for them. So basically its free ! Everyone loves free things ! And its quicker, once you get used to it, and the way around, than public transport. Much quicker.

Everyone bikes here, so if you dont bike, your definately seen as the lazy one. I was the lazy one for a while. Sometimes I still am. Maybe its cos I cant figure out google maps and that shit looks way to confusing on the map, then I get on the tram, and it would have been so easy on a bike.

The cons to cycling ? If you wear a short dress / skirt, theres no hiding your junk, everyone can see what you got going on down there. But its ok, once you have cycled past them your probably never gonna see them again.


I can never find my bike. My first bike, with work, was bright orange, and at first I used to take a photo of it, and the surrounding area, then when I went back to look for it, if I was dumb enough not to spot this orange thing I would check my phone and somehow find it. My bike now is proper old school, and just blends in with the millions of other bikes. I get myself in a right state coming out the supermarket thinking its been nicked then I found it where I left it only 15 minutes before. Short term memory loss, anyone ?




Sweat. You sweat. Or maybe Im just a sweaty betty and I just sweat ? But come on, you think its cold out, so you wear your coat, then you rock up at this bar, and your all sweaty from a 20 minute bike ride. Gahhh.

People here bike with multiple people on their bikes. I have. Well, I have been a passenger. I tried giving a 'backie' it ended up with a bump on the head. Its cool how people cycle with 2 kids to a bike, one on the front, one on the back. I used to cycle with Koenraad on the front seat, and baby Donna in the sling. It was actually so much fun ! The dutch girls do this side riding thing here, one girl cycles, the other then jumps on the back when the bike is moving, and sits sideways.

Con to this ? I end up on my ass. with bruises, and probably cyring. How the hell do they do it ? Who in their right mind would come up with this weird idea to just jump onto a moving vechile, on a road?! who why what !!

Ok, bakfiets !? I have not spelt this right. and even after living here this long I still cant say it correctly AND im still terrified of riding them. They are cool though. Its this wooden box on wheels on the front of your bike basically, I have seen upto 5 kids in one. Or even tvs, shopping etc. So they are quite handy. Thing is there bloody hard to ride. I tried, I nearly crashed into the expensive car in the street. I never really tried again. and definately not with kids in it. Maybe if I didnt like someone I could ride it with them in it, rather close to a Canel. Food for thought eh.


Ok thats enough on bikes, heres some pics of the millions of bikes !





0 comments:

Post a Comment