Saturday 4 April 2015

Very cold San Fran, the pier and the bridge.



Back in 2013 I went to America for around 6 weeks, part of my trip was San Francisco. I loved it. It was such a beautiful hilly city I will definitely  go back. It was just so damn cold. I stayed in a lovely hostel called 
  1. Green Tortoise San Francisco Hostel. It was nice and friendly if somewhat dated. It wasn't until my last day there that I realized I was staying in the red light district, but I never once felt unsafe. 

When you arrive in the hostel you walk, and drag your bag, up a narrow dark hallway with lots of stairs then go into a big old ball room style room where reception is. The receptionists were very laid back, arty and friendly. They made me feel very welcome, told me lots about the city and showed me my room. My room was down a hallway, to the left, up a few steps, to the right, down a few steps, a long a bit more then on the right. I was staying in a 4 bed dorm room with just one other girl. The rooms weren't particular big, but had what I needed. The decor wasn't great, dark wood. But hey, I was in San Francisco, I wasn't here to hang out in my room. 

I headed off out down the hill towards the water and ended up at a little pier. There was no snow, but damn was it bloody cold. I had just come from Kansas, I should have been used to the temperatures. 





I was at pier 23, which was pretty quiet and nice. It was foggy out, as usual, inst san fran known for being really foggy, all the time ? I walked a long a  bit more and it started getting busier. More restaurants and cafes and I soon ended up at the famous pier, pier 39. 

It started to rain so I went to explore the Aquarium for an hour or so to miss the rain. I have always been a sucker for aquariums. Not sure why, I have never been the biggest fan of the sea or all things to do with sea life, but I love a cheeky aquarium trip.  I looked like a right idiot taking selfies inside though. 





After the aquariam the rain had stopped, the fog had cleared and the temperature had changed, slightly. It was a little bit warmer. I was looking for somewhere to eat but didn't want to eat chowder. Chowder was everywhere. I cant remember where I ate, so lets just say I starved. 

I walked down to the beach and onto the famous bridge. It was getting pretty warm now. Well, it actually wasn't. I was probably just unfit and was getting hot. I headed up to the top of the bridge. On top there was a few flowers tied to the bridge, people were showing their respects to people who had jumped. I was pretty paranoid that everyone around me was a possible jumper after watching the film. The film / Documentary is all about bridge jumpers and ordinary people like me, and you, witnessing it. Needless to stay, I didn't hang around up there too long. 







I wondered back to my hostel. Well, actually I took a taxi cos I was a rich backpacker. At times. After too many taxi's I became poor. 

The area I was staying in was pretty cool and busy. I headed out for dinner in a small italian restaurant on the corner of my road with a few people from the hostel and enjoyed some pasta and a few beers before an early night. I had had enough of partying, I was all partied out from Kansas.

The next day was slightly warmer so I headed down to the beach below the bridge. I walked there from my hostel and walked by the pier again and surrounding areas. Someone had already told me about the bush man, so I was well prepared. The bush man is a homeless man who is famous for hiding in the bush and jumping out at people. Im so glad I was pre warned cos I would have literally shit my pants had he jumped out at me. I watched him from the other side of the road scare countless people and laughed my head off.

Down on the beach it was windy and there were loads of surfers. Pretty cool photo opportunities. Thankfully I had my tripod so I could do lame photos like these. 






It was a weekend so was pretty busy down there with familes walking, other photographers and surfers. Here I was right beneath the bridge and I was still pretty paranoid about someone jumping. 

Another photographer took these photos of me on the rocks and lent me his sunglasses as the sun was in my eyes and I was squinting way too much.



I started walking towards what I thought what be buses. I walked along the beach and along the path through the car park and then stopped in the little shop / cafe and used the toilets. After using the toilets and walking through the car park a man and his two children asked me if I need a lift into the city. I thought what the hell, he has two kids, hes pretty safe, sure give me a lift. He drove for around 20 minutes and we were near my hostel when I suddenly realised, shit, I had left my tripod in the toilets. Bloody hell. I had just paid 40 bucks for that. I told the man I would get out now and jump into a taxi and go back there and ask but he drove me the 20 minutes back to the beach and ran into the cafe for me, leaving me in the car with his kids.

The kids were so sweet. They had cute american accents and asked me lots of questions about England and myself. The man returned 10 minutes later, with my tripod. Thank god for that, he then drove me another 20 minutes back into the city.

I offered him some petrol money but he declined. The kindness of strangers here. So nice american man, if you ever find this blog, which I doubt you will, I thank you. 



                                                                

0 comments:

Post a Comment