Thursday 29 January 2015

Lime and coconut energy bites



Today I had my first full day off in ages so decided to bake some goodies.
Since starting this clean eating be healthy shizz  I have been following a tonne of healthy blogs , Facebook pages and instagrams. I kept on seeing these no bake energy balls and I was pretty intrigued. I keep craving sweets or chocolate so needed something to satisfy my sweet craving. 


This morning I cycled to sainsburys on my lovely pink bike to buy the ingrediants.

I will start off with the lime and coconut ones 

I bought a bag of pitted dates, flaked almonds, cashews,  vanilla essence, grated coconut and limes.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1 1/2 cups  dates, pitted
  • zest and juice from 3 key limes
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • Raw coconut oil
  • Vanilla essence
  • salt
Method
  • I put the almonds and cashews in my food processor. I pulsed the nuts until they were finely chopped and started to make a bit of a paste. I added the dates, not all at once, as the blender wouldn't be too happy. I blitzed the dates then added the rest and carried on blitzing till the dates and the nuts started to blend together. I then grated 3 limes and added all the zest and juiced the limes adding all the lime juice. I put a little bit of salt in, added a small bit of raw coconut oil and continued to blend.  Once all blended I moved the mixture to a bowl. I sprinkled out a thick layer of the grated coconut on a board and started to make 1 inch round balls in the palm of my hand before rolling them in the coconut.
  • I continued making my balls untill all the mixture was gone then stored in an air tight container in the fridge for 2 - 3 hours till their fully set.
Altogether it took me around an hour. Im sure it will take a lot less time next time now I know what im doing. Pretty simple really and they are full of goodness, cant wait to tuck in tonight !


Dates :)
 Coconut oil

 Almonds
 Dates, almonds, Pecans, coconut, coconut oil and 3 limes
 Almonds and pecans in the blender
 Grated lime zest
 Lime zest, pecans and almonds in the food processor 
 Rolling the balls in the coconut
 The finished balls
 The finished balls ready for the fridge
Yum Yum bloody yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment