Sunday 29 June 2014

Why Emma started volunteering with street light


                                  

The reason Emma started working with streetlight  Its a long read but its a good one, enjoy ! 


*** ANDREW HAS GIVEN US PERMISSION TO POST HIS PHOTO***

it was a Saturday in February. Christchurch had been experiencing some of it's most extreme weather in over 50 years. Looking out of the window, I realised that actually it had stopped raining and I decided to nip out to Marks and Spencer's to buy something lovely for dinner as a treat for my boyfriend.

On returning home I walked past a lady crouching in a doorway with her back facing out. Getting closer I saw a small man, hunched up on a cool box, wet and shivering. The lady was saying "Don't you worry. Us in Christchurch will look after you". I went home and unpacked my posh buys from Marks and I stood in my kitchen. I thought, what can I give this man? Crisps? A thermal mug of tea? This was odd, because it hadn't crossed my mind ever before to do something nice for a "tramp" (being brutally honest here including using words I hate myself for using now I know better). I had seen homelessness before of course. Under the underpass. I have hurried past a sleeping body many times before. Looking away or avoiding at all if I could. But this was different. Something in this made me WANT to help. Maybe it was his very posh sounding voice 'thank you so much' in response to this woman's assurance that he would be looked after.

When my partner came home, he was adamant that he didn't want me to go alone but was nervous going down with me as it didn't strike him as really safe. We had never seen this guy before, he reasoned. Let's find out a bit more about him first, he said.

Unfortunately (for My boyfriend) I very rarely listen to reason, once have an idea in my head and this was no exception. Around four weeks later, after the storms had passed, (but remembering that we really had experienced some awful weather in Christchurch including flooding, thunderstorms and squalls) I caught sight of this gentleman sitting in a doorway in Saxon square. I stood in the square and thought. Suddenly I had the most overwhelming urge to show him some kindness. I battled with myself for ages...what if he told me to sling my hook? What if he was rude? But I remembered that on Facebook previously I had seen a status from my friend Chelle (sure she won't mind me sharing her name) saying she had used the last £1 in her purse to buy a homeless man in her town a cup of tea. I opened my purse, and made a deal with myself. If there was enough for a cuppa from Costa (small mortgage needed!) I would get it and give it to this guy. There was. So off I went. I approached cautiously and put the cup down by his side. He didn't notice me for what felt like an age. Then He caught my eye and beamed (wait till you see this guys smile - blimey, bet he's broken a few hearts!) all I could say was 'you must be so cold'. He just smiled and thanked me. I felt amazing the whole rest of the day. On a high. Buzzing.

After this, I began looking for him and offering him packages of food. At this time a new page popped up on Facebook. Streetlight - bournemouth. I messaged the page explaining that I would like to be involved and that I had been helping this guy in Christchurch. The page founder was very supportive about this and complimentary. She offered me the opportunity to come to an outreach walk when the group was up and running. I was feeling the urge to know about my homeless friend (see, homeless? Not Tramp!!) so I posted on Facebook on Spotted Bournemouth asking if anyone had seen him and knew anything about him. Aside from finding out that his name was Andrew, he was perfectly nice, liked coffee with two sugars and smoked Cutters Choice, I was overwhelmed with how many nice things were said. So many people had seen him and a few, on finding out he was 'safe' from the people that knew him, offered to feed him that weekend and they followed through! Fab!

So, Andrew. Andrew is 52. He is an ex addict, clean and dry.. This time around he has been homeless since just before Christmas. Loss of job and mental health issues see him sleeping rough. He is such a nice guy. I went to see him everyday that I wasn't at work. I took him hot meals, cold meals, coffee and biscuits. He entrusted me with where he was sleeping at night (most rough sleepers won't) and lots of times I would literally go and find him, sitting on a bench in the gardens around Christchurch and just chat with him. We were very peaceful in each other's company and had an entire repertoire of jokes and banter that we went through every time we saw each other. I didn't always take food. Sometimes I just went and sat on the floor with him and listened to stories and told him about my day. Meanwhile I had been getting involved more and more with Streetlight, and Anastasia and Rachel. I was collecting donations, making food, packaging toiletries and helping with food drops and outreach. Andrew loved to hear about that!

Then one day, Andrew disappeared. I looked for him in all his spots and found nothing. No one knew anything, and if they did they weren't saying anything. Poor Anastasia - I nearly drove her demented banging on about how I hoped he was ok.
After about three weeks, I was in Bristol with my friend having a break the Monday after doing a food drop. Anastasia text me saying that Thorlack had seen Andrew, photographed him and fed him. He was in Bournemouth, whilst attending to meetings to get himself housed. I was so relieved and happy to hear that he was ok. She sent me the photo and I anxiously waited for a chance to get out to Bournemouth and see him.

That chance came on Saturday just gone. I was chatting in the square with a number of the homeless and Anastasia suddenly called me and pointed. There was Andrew jogging across the square towards me saying *over dramatised* 'I've been wasting awwaayyyyyyy!!'As he always joked in the past that I would eventually feed him to death!!! We had a hug and I realised that I had never seen him stood up! He seemed tall and very skinny but he assured me that he wasn't starving to death and was doing well and looking into selling The Big Issue. I can't tell you enough that if it wasn't for this man, I wouldn't have become involved with Streetlight. I would be sat in my flat with my overpriced Marks and Spencer groceries harbouring prejudice about 'tramps and junkies' not out on Saturdays giving and receiving hugs and human kindness. Because when all is said and done, for me it's about showing kindness and love to a fellow human being. Not a label. Not 'hobo' not 'junkie' or 'smack head' or 'tramp'. Just human. A human being.

So thanks Andrew and thanks Anastasia because I have finally found something I LOVE to do.




0 comments:

Post a Comment