Saturday 11 January 2014

Family # 1

On my first day in Istanbul we met up with Mughira, who runs his own charity, Insan Der.

Insan Der have over 2,000 Syrians on their database that live in Istanbul and who are in need. Mughira gave us a list of 5 families in homes , with the ages of their children and what they needed. We packed up bags according to the lists and spend the day visiting families. Here goes.


Family # 1


Mum, Katy, Mughira and I had been in the van for a good 45 minutes struggling through Istanbul traffic when we turned into a small neighborhood. Anyone who has been to Istanbul knows this little neighborhoods are full of tiny streets with cars parked everywhere and people driving cars the wrong way, they clearly shouldn't have a driving licence. 


We pulled into a narrow street and a man was waiting for us. He greeted us as we stepped out the van into the rain. We heard children's voices up above, it was his three children shouting to us from the top floor. Now, In Istanbul I was not in the best of health. I could barely walk a flat path due to my failing heart, so walking the five stories up those narrow winding stairs was horrible. I was welcomed by a beautiful smiling lady, with freckles dotted all over her face. She gave me a big hug and two kisses and it was like we had been friends forever. She welcomed us into her home and ushered us to sit down. Meanwhile, the guys were carrying up all the clothes. 





Once we were all settled in the house drinking Syrian coffee, Mughira started translating any questions we had for each other. 


I wanted to know how they met.


They both smiled at each other happily and told me the story 


' We fell in love. I saw her every day on the balcony. She was beautiful. I knew she was the girl I was going to marry'


They both giggled like teenagers as they went on to tell the story about their wedding and their life since.

They have three children. One girl, aged 6, and two boys, 3 years old and 1 year old.  At first the 3 year old boy was terrified of us and hid in the bedroom crying.
They traveled to Istanbul by bus when the mum, who is only 24, was pregnant with their third child. All children are perfectly healthy and happy, the six year old girl goes to a local school and told us she loves school and her friends.

The majority of the time we were there I held the young baby who was so happy, just cuddling up in my arms, while Katy played with the two children with toys we took for them.







Mughira went on to tell us how the mum, I feel really bad that I don't remember her name, was diagnosed with cancer during her pregnancy. As soon as her son was born she had the cancerous tumor operated on and she is now undergoing chemotherapy at the local hospital. Treatment is free for her as she has refugee status. I'm so glad its free otherwise I hate to think what could happen. 




The family of five shared the small flat with another family, a husband, wife and 3 children. Altogether there were 12 people living in this tiny little flat. The flat was basic, it had one small kitchen - living room , one bedroom and one bathroom. 


I asked the family if they wanted to know anything about me. They asked simple questions about my life at home and why I wished to help them and their people. Mughira told them the answers, they were extremely grateful for all the help and all the awareness I had raised back home and kept on telling me god has blessed me. 




I asked the young mum if she could show me her hair in the privacy of her bedroom as I could see under her hijab she had blond hair. She was so happy that I wanted to see her hair and ushered me, mum and Katy into her room. She pulled off her hijab, and I will never forget the way she shook her head and this long flowing beautiful hair came tumbling down her back. She was really beautiful. She showed us the scars across her neck from cancer, the scars went from one side of her neck to the other. 


While we were complimenting her on her beautiful hair, she showed us her wedding photos and showed us her small bedroom and the things she had. She was so proud of the things she had and was excited to show them off. She rummaged in her draw and pulled out a ring and handed it to me. She told me it was a present for me and I must keep it. Katy and my mum were given beautiful hair clips.









We left this family with two suitcases full of clothes for the adults and the children. We took a suitcase full of shoes that they could choose from, they took a couple of pairs of shoes each.


This family are now facing homelessness as they have run out of the money they came from. The two men are unable to find work due to the fact they are Syrian and do not speak the turkish language.


Every time I look at that ring I will remember that beautiful girl with the freckles on her cheeks. 








0 comments:

Post a Comment