Monday 16 December 2013

My 2nd day, september 2013

My second day was quite similar to my first day, I just met more families. 

I took the tram to Beyazit again. I went to the T shop outside the tram stop and bought 5 packs of nappies, about 50 toothbrushes and toothbrushes. The cashier wanted to know what I was doing so I explained. She said it was very nice and wished me a good day. I walked all through the markets. I stopped at the shops I had been to the day before and bought all the same items.

Just three times as much :)

By the time I reached Eminuno I was weighed down with bags and bags and bags. My hands felt like they were gonna fall off !


I separated everything again into mini packets. I found one lady stood right outside the spice bazaar. She wasn't begging. She was just letting her children play. I gave the children some toy cars and moved onto some families who were sat around.








I found so many families in need. They all had children and a lot of them had young babies under a year. I handed out the milk and nappies to the families with children under 2 years old. 

Parents pushed their children forward to take the bags off me. The children were poorly dressed. Winter was approaching and most of them just had too small t shirts on and thin trousers. Their skin was filthy. The skin on their feet was cracked and dry from wearing no shoes. 

I gave all the children a bag each filled with bread, water, cheese, tooth brushes, toy cars, tooth paste, hats, gloves, vests and wet wipes. 

All the parents thanked me. I carried on doing the rounds and giving more bags out. Every single family was extremely grateful. They accepted the bags with gratitude and couldn't thank me enough.

One family invited me to sit with them. They said I could play with their two daughters. Both under 3 I assume. I asked the father if he would use my camera and take photos of me playing with the children and he was happy to do so. The children and the parents loved looking through the photos afterwards.

I tried to teach the little girl a simple clapping game. I played this simple game with her over and over again and she was just so happy. I will always remember how happy she looked while we played that silly little game. Her young sister, about 18 months, took my lip salve out of my hands. That was that gone. She gave it to her mum and her mum showed her how to use it.
















I moved on to more families.

I found one family that consisted of one man, two women and about 10 children. I gave them the rest of my bags. They had a young baby girl who was not dressed suitably at all. They asked me if I had anything warm for the baby with long sleeves.



I didnt but I offered to walk with the babies mum to the markets and buy her a few warm baby grows. I bought 5 warm baby grows for 15 lira. Absolutely nothing to me.

I stayed with the family a little longer and played with the children before heading to sultan ahmet to meet my friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment